Friday, April 2, 2010

Isminu Sukaina


Upon arrival at my training site several weeks ago I was given a new Moroccan name by my host family. Sukaina: peaceful, calm, and innocent. Now, Sukaina is the name I respond to and the name I have come to be known by. When asked my name, “Isminu Sukaina,” I respond with pride. People in the community ask my family and friends, “how’s Sukaina?” Children yell “we love you, Sukaina” as I walk by. When I help make dinner my sisters enthusiastically tell the rest of the family that they’re eating “sukso n Sukaina,” Sukaina’s couscous.

I believe my name is a small representation of my integration into Moroccan culture. The past few weeks have brought countless greetings, conversations, games with local children, invitations for teas and dinners and introductions. With each day and each new interaction I am becoming “Sukaina” and I am becoming a part of my community.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, April....I am so glad you decided to do this blog. The house is so empty without you and I miss you very, very much but your descriptions almost make me feel like I am there with you. I love your new name. It speaks volumes of the impression you have made on your new friends and family. Keep the news coming and keep well, Sukaina. I love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sukaina, couldn't be more suitable! (But I will still be calling you Aprilini!!) I am so happy to hear you are becoming part of your community. It sounds wonderful. Please keep sharing with us!! <3

    Huge Hugs!!
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sukaina, I am going to give your blog to my friend Martin. He loves Morocco. I feel proud to know you Sukaina!

    ReplyDelete