Friday, April 2, 2010

Imik s Imik- Little by Little

The first night at my home stay house was overwhelming to say the least. Strangers crowded around me, speaking a language completely unfamiliar to my ears. I knew only a few expressions in Tamazight and for once I couldn’t rely on the presence of a fellow English speaker to make sense of what was going on. I was brought into the kitchen and through gestures and a little bit of French I was able to figure out the meaning of some new words. I got out my notebook and started writing down vocabulary. I now carry a notebook with me everywhere I go.

The language is very challenging and at times I feel like between school and my home stay, I’m in class 16 hours a day. It can be frustrating not to be able to communicate what it is you want to say, or to always be saying “urg ssing,” I don’t know. Immersion is a new experience for me, but with the challenges come many rewards. I am learning more quickly than I thought possible and am building relationships at the same time. It is indescribably rewarding to ask for what you want, to understand a conversation between family members, or to be in on a joke.

Beyond language, the magnitude of what I will need to accomplish in order to make a small, lasting impact over the next two years can be daunting. Becoming a part of a completely foreign rural community; understanding community dynamics and building relationships in a different culture; identifying resources; building capacity within the community; co-facilitating projects with local counterparts; and using participatory analysis tools in a foreign language are among the goals to be accomplished during my service.

It can be hard to know where to get started or how to bridge the language barrier. With the help of our language and culture instructor we are starting to learn. We are talking to local authorities and visiting schools and the community health center. We are making connections within our community and identifying resources. Each day at our training site we are learning more about our new home, and in the process, becoming a part of it.

In Tamazight they say, “Imik s Imik,” Little by Little. I see this training as the opportunity to build the foundation for successful service. Having a strong foundation in language and culture, forming relationships and asking the right questions will help me to make a meaningful impact later on. This work is essential to understanding, appreciating and participating in Moroccan culture. While the road ahead may seem insurmountable at times, I truly believe day by day, Imik s Imik, it will come.

1 comment:

  1. with a positive attitude like yours, your whole Moroccan experience must be a success. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete