Tuesday, May 4, 2010

First Impressions- Site Visit




After nine and a half hours on a public bus; 2 and a half hours squeezed in the middle of the front seat of an over-packed, stick shift taxi; and a 30 minute ride on a tranzit van, I finally arrived at my official Peace Corps site. A small village in Boulemane Province, my community is situated at the foot of a Mid-Atlas Mountain range. A river, lush green fields, trees and flowers blanket the valley while donkeys, cows, sheep, chickens and stray dogs inhabit the fields and paths of the town.

My new house, a modest concrete dwelling, is filled with love and generosity. During my week long site visit my new family, mainly middle-aged women, welcomed me into their home and provided immense support and encouragement. Eager to help me learn the language and integrate into the community, I was introduced to countless neighbors and friends. After only a short time it was apparent that I will be living amongst a group of people with a strong sense of community.

A shining example of the motivated people within my community is my host sister, Kenza. A petite woman of 40, she is a pillar of positive change. In 2008 she started a women’s association that is now active in the community. Beyond the association she has found numerous ways to share her skills and enrich the lives of those around her, including through a literacy class that she started for women in the town.

My visits to local schools also revealed dedicated individuals who are working for change. During my brief visit I met several teachers who were passionate about improving the community and was able to participate in a tree planting project at a local elementary school. I was warmly welcomed throughout my new community and was met with enthusiasm. People seemed genuinely interested in my role as a health professional in the community and the need for better health care and education, something that is often severely lacking in rural areas of Morocco.

I am heartened by the local people within my site who are already working for change and by the potential for growth. It is my hope that I can work in partnership with these allies and friends to improve the health and lives of the people of my new community. Inchallah, my relationships with these people will embody the spirit of the Peace Corps- A sharing of culture, friendship, skills and understanding.

3 comments:

  1. Your description of the village and the people is vivid. I know you will make a significant contribution to the village and be personally enriched by the experience. What a wonderful opportunity you have to make a positive difference in the lives of the people. I know you will make the Peace Corps proud!
    Love, Pop

    ReplyDelete
  2. CC, you are livng your dream! Not many people can say that! You have already made a difference in so many lives. Just think-the possibilites are endless! I love you!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aprilini! I love you sooo much! I love your blog and your pictures are beautiful! I miss you so much and wish you the best! Your amazing!! <3

    <3 Courtini

    ReplyDelete